29-01-18 Tips To Get Back On Track After the Long Weekend
This time last week you may have had the best intentions of eating healthy and exercising over the Australia day long weekend! But throw in some 40 degree weather, a couple of BBQs and a beach it’s now Monday afternoon and you’re feeling a little remorseful, sluggish and bloated from all the over-eating and indulgences. But don’t worry, all is not lost.
Get back on track with your 2018 health goals with these helpful (and easy) tips and tricks !
1) Throw away the guilt factor in the bin- So what you messed up your healthy eating plan? It’s called being human, we all do it. But it’s important to not be too hard on yourself. Everyone is their own worst critic after all. Focus on something productive in the future such as a task at work or home rather than dwelling on the past stuff up.
2) Re-assess your goal- Write down your health goal on your desk or on your phone so that it reminds you to stay focused. Sometimes when you forget what your putting in the all the hard work for, you can deviate off track.
3) Stay away from temptations- What you put on your plate comes from either your fridge, freezer or pantry so if you’ve got some leftovers from the weekend, throw it out, donate it to a food charity or give it to some friends or family.
4) Meal prep – Plan the rest of this week so you eat well balanced meals by meal prepping for the week ahead. Go to the grocery store and stock up on quality, wholesome produce that will make you feel good on the inside and out.
Tip- If your feeling bloated and sluggish go for a long walk and you’ll feel more energised almost instantly. Remember to drink lots of water in the hot weather, even if your not thirsty as this can help with bloating as well.
Remember, it’s not the end of the world. Don’t give up on your goal! Use these simple ideas to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on track to be the best and healthiest you in 2018.
4-07-17 The Australian Health and Wellness Summit
The team at the Low Carb Clinic had a fantastic day attending and participating at the Australian Health and Wellness Summit at the Royal Exhibition Centre in Melbourne on Sunday July 2nd.
Our very own Dr Szabo was a key-note speaker on the day. He spoke on insulin resistance, explaining the mechanism and what we can do to reverse it. This generated plenty of interest at our expo stall and it was great to be able to speak to people and health professionals about our clinic and what we offer.
Participants of the day enjoyed speakers from all backgrounds of health and wellness including doctors, health professionals, exercise trainers and experts in their fields. The expo was also fantastic with so many different stall holders from all aspects of health, wellbeing, exercise and nutrition. Not even the chilly Melbourne weather could keep people away, which was fantastic to see!
We thank the staff at the summit for the massive job in organising this sensational event.
If you are on the Gold Coast, the Gold Coast summit is coming up on Saturday the 16th of September. Go along to get motivated and inspired about health and wellness. Visit: http://www.australianhealthandwellnesssummit.com.au/ for details and tickets.
19-06-17 Australian Health and Wellness Summit
We are excited to be part of the Australian Health and Wellness Summit 2017!
It is on Sunday July 2nd at The Royal Exhibition Centre.
Dr Rob Szabo is featuring as a keynote speaker and the clinic team will be part of the expo!
Don't miss out on the fun, get tickets today!
05-05-17 Follow the Keto Experiment
Follow Dec and Sam in their 8 week keto journey! They are filming a documentary and blogging their progress.
We were excited to help them during the week. Keep up the great work guys!!
We cannot wait to hear how you progress!
01-05-17 Small Group Sessions
We are excited to launch small group sessions.
They will be 3-4 people each session with our dietitian, over 3 sessions.
You will receive resources, support, food tracking, access to our dietitian and 2 or 3 buddies doing it with you!
Sessions are available at Spotswood and Camberwell.
With 3-4 spots in each location get in quick! For more information or to book email: firstname.lastname@example.org or ph: 1300LOWCARB
27-03-17 Low Carb Diet myths debunked
Check out this article on news.com.au by Dr Maryanne Demasi. She is debunking some of the myths surrounding a low carb diet. This is a clear, concise run down, thanks news.com.au
20-03-16 Surviving Easter Low Carb Style event!
We are excited to be hosting a group session:
'Surviving Easter Low Carb Style!'
The team will be there to introduce a low carb diet for those who are new, provide some recipes/tips for Easter, label reading tips and guide to supermarket shopping!
We will also have time some Q&A, nibbles and mingling after the event! We hope you can join us! The event is open to clients and non-clients!
Date: Wednesday 5th April 7.30pm
Location: 196-200 Hall Street Spotswood.
Tickets can be purchased online at https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/surviving-easter-low-carb-t… or at the Spotswood clinic!
6-02-16- Feb Fast Update!
Day 6: Almost 1 week down in Feb Fast!
Well done to those of you sticking it out!
Thought I would share a recipe for a sugar free treat for those of you eliminating sugar...This one is easy and delicious!
Sugar free Shortbread:
-120g Almond meal
-3tbsp sugar substitute (Natvia/xylitol)
-1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1) Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
2) Line an oven tray with baking powder
3) Cream the butter and sugar substitute until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla essence and mix until combined
4) Add the almond meal and form into a firm dough
5) Roll between 2 sheets of baking paper until about 8mm.
6) Cut into shapes, place on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes until a light golden brown.
7) Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes
2-02-17 Day 2-Feb Fast!
It's day two of feb fast! Often the first week of eliminating something or changing a habit will be the hardest time. If you are struggling don't worry you are not alone!!
As mentioned I am eliminating alcohol and sugar this FebFast. So today I thought I would share what I use as an alternative to alcohol. ... ...Kombucha.
For those of you who haven't heard of it, kombucha is a fermented beverage. During fermentation it becomes carbonated and contains vinegar, b-vitamins, enzymes, probiotics and a high concentration of acid (acetic, gluconic and lactic), which are may aid in improving digestion, energy, cleansing and detoxification.
So this great alcohol alternative is no only bubbly and refreshing but your gut will love you for it!
You can make your own or buy it. My personal favourite is the apple crispy Remedy Kombucha.
Let me know your favourite alcohol alternative!
Happy Feb-Fasting and keep up the great work!
23-01-17 Feb Fast begins in 1 week!
We have jumped on board with Feb Fast to raise funds for young disadvantaged youth.
Jeanette (practice manager) and Britt (dietitian) are opting to go without sugar and alcohol for the month of February.
Head over to www.febfast.org.au to register.
We will provide sugar free recipes and alcohol alternatives during February for those joining us!
10-01-17 Welcome to 2017!
Happy new year to all our clients, followers, referrers and friends!
The New Year is often a time for fresh starts with many people making resolutions and setting goals. If diet is something you are looking to change, here are some tips from our dietitian, Britt, on how to set goals and stay on track!
1) Make goals SMART: A SMART goal is one that is specific, measurable, accountable, realistic, and time specific. For example: I am going to go to the gym at least three times a week for the first month, and during the second month my goal is to make it to the gym at least four times a week. This method can be applied to food, budget etc.
2) Focus on what you can eat, not what you cant: If you are taking the step to eliminate things from you diet, eg: sugar, aim to not spend time and energy mourning the foods you have excluded. Instead redirect your efforts to finding new and delicious ways to include the nutrient-rich foods you are trying to base your diet around.
3) Sit down and make a plan for the week: We are all busy so aim to set aside 30 minutes each week to plan the week ahead. Schedule meals, write a shopping list and schedule your workouts. Write this down, in your diary, it will keep you accountable and will save you time during the week. It also sets an intention for success. Win!
4) Set goals with friends: If you have a like-minded friend who is also looking to achieve similar goals, set goals together. This will help keep you on track and accountable to each other. If you goals are diet related, start a recipe club with your goal setting buddies. Assign dishes (entree, salad, main etc) and meet once a month to enjoy good food and swap recipes that align to your diet goals.
5) And finally..remember perfection isn't the goal: While aiming to be consistent will help you reach your goals sooner, if something unexpectedly brings you off track, dust yourself off and jump back on. No one is perfect and it will not undo all the good work you have done :-)
If you need help making your health and nutrition goals happen come and see Britt at the Low Carb Clinic. Appointment available at Spotswood, Camberwell and via skype!
20-12-16 Christmas Clinic Closure
We will be closed from the 20th December until the 10th of January (inclusive).
We wish you and your family a happy Christmas and New Year.
We look forward to helping you achieve your nutrition health goals in 2017!!
29-11-16 - Low Carb Christmas Event!
The team at the Low Carb Clinic are hosting a 'Guide to a Low Carb Christmas!' , Thursday 8th December 7pm.
Our dietitian Britt will be showing you how the silly season can still be fun and delicious without feeling like you are overindulging and adding the extra 0.8-1.5kg Australian's put on over the Christmas period!
The evening will include a presentation, take home recipes, samples and plenty of christmas cheer. There will also be time for some Q&A. The event is open to clients and the general public. We hope to see you there for a merry time!
28-11-16 - Newsletter and Recipe
Did you catch our latest e-news with tasty recipe?
Click the link to read more and whip up these zucchini boats for dinner! Trust us they are delish!
20-11-16 - Britt (Dietitian) begins full time!
We are happy to announce we now have stand alone dietitian appointments with Britt available at both Camberwell and Spotswood.
Britt will be at Camberwell on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Spotswood on Wednesdays and Fridays.